OTTAWA - Canada has threatened "retaliatory measures" against the United States move changing the so-called country of origin labeling that would track beef and hogs through the meat processing and distribution systems, stating that it is discriminatory, a view shared by the World Trade Organisation. On Thursday, the United States Department of Agriculture issued a final modification to its ...
NEW YORK - Aiming to tackle recent high-profile breaches, popular micro-blogging site Twitter is introducing an optional two-step login for users to beef up security. The new system would try to ensure "it's really you" when a user signs in to Twitter, which transmits some 400 million messages a day. The move follows recent attacks into the twitter accounts of news organisations' such as ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
MUMBAI - Shares of Wockhardt, one of the leading Indian pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, witnessed a sharp fall of 20% to Rs. 1,315 ($23.61) on the Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) on Thursday after the US FDA published an import alert on one of its three manufacturing facilities near Aurangabad. The import alert, 'detention without physical examination of drugs from firms which have ...
MELBOURNE - Ford Motor Company Wednesday announced plans of closing its local manufacturing operations in Broadmeadows and Geelong in October 2016 thereby forcing 1,200 people out of work. Spelling the end of the iconic Ford Falcon in the country, Ford Australia president Bob Graziano announced that the carmaker would shut its Victorian facilities in October 2016, bringing an end to nearly ...
29°C Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the NNE at 7 MPH
Schindler's List [Blu-Ray]
The unlikeliest heroes are often the greatest, and Oskar Schindler, the central figure of Steven Spielbergs masterful and devastating Schindlers List, was one of the unlikeliest of all. A greedy German industrialist, womanizer, heavy drinker, shamelessly adulterous husband, ... ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
The travel app company Waze is believed to be the subject of a billion-dollar bidding war between Google and Facebook, in a move apparently aimed at tying its social functions more closely into the rival firms' networks.A fortnight ago reports suggested that Facebook had bid $1bn for the business, in order to wrap the "social travel" element into its billion-strong social network. ...
Microsoft (MSFT) has taken aim at used game sales in a somewhat surprising way. For Xbox One games, used game sales will be allowed but any retailer who chooses to sell them will need to use Microsoft's Azure-based cloud system to do ...
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure theme parks are open for a full 24 hours today to celebrate Memorial Day weekend and the official start of the summer tourist seasons. As visitors enter these parks, they'll find a lot of new rides and attractions. Many of the innovations behind today's high-tech experiences come from inspiration from ...
Squawk Box " interview. "[But] the downside of course: What did [he] contribute to the current mess?" The appointment of Lafley as chairman and CEO of P&G, the company he ran from 2000 to 2009, was announced Thursday and is effectively immediately. He succeeded embattled chief executive Bob McDonald--who had taken the reigns when Lafley retired. ...
On the record
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Millennium Hotel, Queenstown, New Zealand
I've reviewed this hotel before, and found it one of my favourites in New Zealand. Queenstown is located in the ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Jamaican TimesJamaican Times – Authoritative News about Jamaica
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Jamaican Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Jamaican news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Jamaican news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Jamaican news, the weather forecast for Jamaican you'll find it all in the Jamaican Times.
From Montego Bay to Kingston, the Jamaican Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron says "character and focus" are the main factors that have driven West Indies middle order batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul to reach the milestone of 300 first class matches.
The 38-year-old achieved the rare feat appearing for Derbyshire against Sussex in the English County championship, reports CMC.
"On behalf of the Board of Directors of the WICB and the entire West Indies cricket fraternity, I would like to offer my sincerest congratulations to Shiv on this momentous occasion," said Cameron Saturday.
"His character and focus have helped him to earn this landmark and he should never let those qualities fade away."
Only six men in the history of the game have reached the landmark of 300 first class appearances.
They are Denis Compton, Sachin Tendulkar, Garfield Sobers, Ranjitsinhji, Graeme Hick and Barry Richards.
"He continues to impress us all with his durability and appetite for the game, and we urge him to keep up the good work," said Cameron.
"He is a living, breathing example of determination for any young player and we salute him on reaching another milestone in his illustrious career."
The Guyanese batsman has now scored 22,139 first class runs and has a high-score of 303.
- Canadian Businessman on Trial in Cuban Corruption Crackdown
- Seven Cubans to participate in World Judo Masters
- Fresh offerings Sun gets things swingin at Havana
- President Barack Obama defends drone strikes - but moves to rein them in as Guantanamo closure rears its head again
- Coast Guard Turns Back 7 Cubans
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- Cambodias Booming New Industry Orphanage Tourism
- Pakistan Airlines flight diverted in U.K. - CNN
- Two men arrested after RAF Typhoon fighter jets are scrambled to escort Pakistan Airlines passenger plane to Stansted
- First look of D-Day movie unveiled in Mumbai
- Psys look-alike dupes stars at Cannes
- No hatred between Mayers former girlfriends
- George Michael didnt try to commit suicide by throwing himself from car says pal
- Prince Harry names himself ginger queen
- Heart healthy lifestyle may help protect kidney patients from dying prematurely
- Jitendra Singh urges states to take action to curb illegal practices in sports
- Sports Minister lauds amputee Everest climber Arunima Sinha
- Racist Oz broadcaster Morrow spared the sack but banned from marquee events this season
- Spot-Fixing row Sports Minister says my head hangs in shame today
- Heart healthy lifestyle may help protect kidney patients from dying prematurely
- Drug target to boost bodys natural flu killer identified
- Boys stem cells successfully treat cerebral palsy
- Turning off technology hours before bedtime promotes sound sleep
- Breast cancer cells release protective proteins that suppress tumour growth
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Condom handout at Russian WWII monument slammed
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Jamaican Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- James Kingston leads BMW PGA Championship
- Jamaica 0-0 Tottenham - Bore draw
- Tottenham 0 Jamaica 0 Gareth Bale fails to seal win for Spurs with 30-minute cameo as Kyle Walker suffers injury
- Kingston leads at Wentworth
- Kingston leads at Wentworth as big names falter