Caribbean Premier T20 League operations manager Carlisle Powell says the key stakeholders in the six franchise countries have thrown their support behind the inaugural tournament which bowls off in July. Powell and other CPL officials recently held meetings with cricket board executives, stadium management, tourism representatives and government ministers in Antigua amp; Barbuda, Barbados, ...
A man has been arrested in Puerto Rico for a Twitter post that threatened a gay activist and made a reference to the Boston Marathon bombing, the FBI said ...
Port of Spain, May 20 (Prensa Latina) An earthquake of 5.3 degrees on the Richter scale shook several Eastern Caribbean islands without causing damage or casualties, the Seismic Department of the University of the West Indies reported today. The institution stressed that the quake?s epicenter was located southwest of Barbuda, part of the Antigua and Barbuda federation. At the end of last month, ...
Havana, May 20 (Prensa Latina) The work of Martinican writer Edouard Glissant (1928-2012) will be discussed today at the International Colloquium "Cultural Diversity in the Caribbean", attended by a large delegation of intellectuals from the region. The meeting, sponsored by the Casa de las Americas, is being attended by artists, writers and intellectuals from Aruba, Haiti, Dominican ...
Twelve-year-old Judeline crouches at the feet of a much younger girl, lifting high a makeup kit so the little girl, Boubou, can apply a colored pencil to her brow. Boubou studies herself intently in the kit's mirror; Judeline, hidden to her, stares at us with a look that seems both humiliated and beseeching. Taken by the photographer Vlad Sokhin for a series called "Restavek: Child ...
Winds: From the ESE at 20 MPH
Variety Lights (Luci del varietà) [DVD]
"Variety Lights" ("Luci del variet") is a poignant melodrama set against the backdrop of a group of struggling variety performers that travels from town to town entertaining people for not much more than a meal to eat and a bed to sleep in (sometimes not even that much). They are a cast of lovable losers who proclaim great things about their "art" even though they aren't much more than semi-t ... ...
HSPA + network in the country, with the service available to both pre- and post-paid subscribers. Digicel advertised an average download speed of up to 3Mbps for the service, depending on the location, the device capabilities and the network traffic, whilst theoretical ...
For months he has been tight-lipped, but National Insurance Minister Shane Gibson finally revealed yesterday that the National Insurance Board (NIB) forensic audit cost the government a whopping $861,606. The government hired the Grant Thornton (Bahamas) accounting firm to carry out the audit after now axed NIB Chairman Gregory Moss and NIB's Board wrote Minister ...
If you were watching the Super Bowl on CBS on Sunday, chances are you saw the primetime debut of a $4.5 million advertisement by the Ministry of Tourism. But since then, the 61-second commercial, intended to encourage visitors to come to The Bahamas, has received both good and bad reviews from Bahamian citizens. Viral comments flooded both Facebook and Twitter as some locals reveled in the ...
RFK Memorial Center for Human Rights and 2002 RFK Award recipient, Loune Viaud of Zamni Lasante, release U.S. Department of Treasury documents revealing that the U.S. and the Inter-American Development Bank deliberately obstructed $146 million in approved IDB financing. WASHINGTON - August 4 - The Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center for Human Rights and Zamni Lasante released internal U.S. ...
Santiago de Cuba, 20 May (Prensa Latina) The 4th Ministerial Meeting on the Caribbean Biological Corridor (CBC) will be held May 21st-May 23rd in this city of eastern Cuba, said authorities from that regional initiative. The previous meetings were held in the Dominican Republic and Haiti, the two countries that, along with Cuba, form the initial nucleus of CBC, which aims, since its creation in ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
London Marriott Park Lane
Having taken the Heathrow Express to Paddinton station (a 15 minute ride, with trains running every 15 minutes), I then ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Jamaican TimesJamaican Times – Authoritative News about Jamaica
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Jamaican Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Jamaican news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Jamaican news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Jamaican news, the weather forecast for Jamaican you'll find it all in the Jamaican Times.
From Montego Bay to Kingston, the Jamaican Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron says "character and focus" are the main factors that have driven West Indies middle order batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul to reach the milestone of 300 first class matches.
The 38-year-old achieved the rare feat appearing for Derbyshire against Sussex in the English County championship, reports CMC.
"On behalf of the Board of Directors of the WICB and the entire West Indies cricket fraternity, I would like to offer my sincerest congratulations to Shiv on this momentous occasion," said Cameron Saturday.
"His character and focus have helped him to earn this landmark and he should never let those qualities fade away."
Only six men in the history of the game have reached the landmark of 300 first class appearances.
They are Denis Compton, Sachin Tendulkar, Garfield Sobers, Ranjitsinhji, Graeme Hick and Barry Richards.
"He continues to impress us all with his durability and appetite for the game, and we urge him to keep up the good work," said Cameron.
"He is a living, breathing example of determination for any young player and we salute him on reaching another milestone in his illustrious career."
The Guyanese batsman has now scored 22,139 first class runs and has a high-score of 303.
- Obama to reveal Guantanamo Bay plans drones strategy on Thursday
- Havana Hosts ALBA Ministerial Meeting on Social Issues on Friday
- Cuban and Zambian Foreign Ministers Meet in Havana
- Cuban Film Industry Willing to Undertake Transformations
- State Sector Cooperatives Key to Cuban Economic Reform Says Expert
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chiranjeevi to inaugurate incredible India exhibition at Cannes today
- Haitang Bay promotes rapid growth in Sanyas hospitality industry
- Official urges good faith in tourism industry
- 200 Room Staybridge Suites Announced for Jeddah Saudi Arabia
- Dame Helen Mirren becomes the Queen for dying fan
- Sleep apnea in seniors linked to Alzheimers
- For the elderly in US poetry blunts the pain of isolation
- Rioters in Sweden protest alleged brutality racism after police shoot elderly man
- NY high school talks to its seniors about shooting
- Leona Lewis keen on adoption
- Miley Cyrus and Paris Hilton trapped in swatting incident again
- Bradley Cooper takes cooking lessons from Ramsay
- MJs maid saw singer showering with child abuse victim Wade Robson
- Dog sings along to fav Adele song
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- ACC report warns of increasing illicit drug abuse in professional sports
- Govt. considering law to curb spot match fixing Sibal
- Oz sports commentator sparks Twitter outrage with Indian gag
- Celebrities are not the only ones renewing their wedding vows...
- India UK sign MoU on cooperation in health sector
- Toddler who survived Saudi car crash found moving in body bag
- Commonly used catheters double blood clot risk in ICU and cancer patients
- Cancer survivor Kleybanova makes victorious comeback
- Examining pancreatic juices may help identify pancreatic cancer
- Virginia hikers hit by runaway car
- Israel concerned Russian arms will reach enemies
- Syrian bomb disposal experts on high alert
- Iranian spies die in dawn hanging
- Texas takes on large oil firms
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Jamaican Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Download Then See Jamaican Queens
- Jamaica last-chance saloon following latest bailout
- Jamaicans sweep Diamond League sprint titles Jeter pulls up injured
- Jamaica uncovers ‘scheme’ involving Petrotrin oil products
- NYPD hunts gunman in fatal bus shooting